Subject: [Leica] A Few Words About Rules and the LUG Yearbook
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Sat Sep 8 06:52:37 2007

Less than two years ago there was a revolution in publishing--electronic
hardcover books, made simple and inexpensive.  The software could be used by
anyone with a modicum of talent; the economics changed so that there were no
longer minimum orders for books.  That allows anyone with a passel of text
and digitized images to create a creditable photo book.

So, it made sense to try something like this for the LUG.  After all, we're
a rather diffuse bunch--spread around the world, with nothing more tangible
as a group memento than a few renegade electrons.*

I generally prefer fewer rules to more.  Additionally, I make a lousy
policeman, but I do throw some pretty impressive parties <g>.  After
observing the LUG for a while I noticed:

1. People take pictures (ok, create images, if you prefer) with a wide
variety of cameras.  This year the online group has been delighted with
images from M8s, Jim Hemenway's flea market 1920s Zeiss film camera, Kyle's
"Leica" D100, as well as a passel of others.

There's another reason as well: economics.  When I first joined the LUG
years ago I didn't even own a Leica--I was shooting with a Canon 7 and later
joined with additional LTM lenses (all acquired, incidentally, through the
LUG.)  Eventually as finances improved I acquired Leicas.

Today, while I'd love to use an M8, spending the nearly $5000 on a camera
body would result in the decapitation of my personal corpus.  I'm sure there
are others on the list in a similar situation.  Conversely, there are
working professionals who need the speed and features of a professional,
interchangeable lens camera but would not be able to afford a Leica digital
module, nor would the module be a superior choice necessarily to a much less
expensive DSLR.

2.Then there's reality: the world's best camera is junk if it's not in your
hand when the picture opportunity arises.

And a corollary: people WILL take pictures with whatever is at hand, and
they will (if necessary) lie about their camera later.  This reminds me of a
cartoon I saw years ago: a mendicant standing at a corner with a sign, "Why
lie? Please give me booze money."  So why should we be forced to lie?

3. People take a lot of pictures.  There are no shortage of great images
appearing every week on the LUG.

4. More is merrier.  I'd much rather have a yearbook with a hundred
contributors--many of whom came seemingly "out of the woodwork"--than one
with more restrictions and fewer contributors.

5. My favorite story about pictures and "rules": before the widespread use
of the web, I briefly belonged to a camera club.  The rules seemed really
silly, there was more talk about setting rules than taking pictures, and
(worst of all) the most-lauded stuff on display was picture-postcard dross.
I lasted about two meetings.  On the other hand, with virtually no rules
(other than common courtesy, and sticking to Friday FS postings) I've been
here for a decade.

There is only one change in the rules from last year's yearbook: using
current year images.  Why?  Well, last year was a first effort, and in a
sense gave us an opportunity to assemble everything and anything.  This year
is different--it's now truly an annual, and probably should represent what
we're shooting this year, and sharing on the list.

If you're really, really desperate to use a pre-2007 image, here's the
exception: if it was/is posted to the LUG during the year (especially some
of the wayback images we've seen), feel free to send it in.  That would
certainly qualify as a 2007 image, since it was shared during the year with
the group.

However, I return to the premise of the original harangue: there are still
three months to make images, if you haven't done so already.

Keep shooting!

Best,
Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA

*Not entirely true: Brian created some Caf? Press items a while back; I
still have my Spring Photo Shoot "dodo" shirt.

Replies: Reply from chehl at comcast.net (Charles Hehl) ([Leica] A Few Words About Rules and the LUG Yearbook)
Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] A Few Words About Rules and the LUG Yearbook)