Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 problems
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Aug 30 08:22:47 2007

Curiouser and curiouser.

Since my questioning of the M8 most of the on list replies have
supported the camera. On the other hand, I have received half a dozen
off list messages complaining of the camera's unreliability and
general inadequacy. It is almost as if expressing doubts about the M8
on the LUG is a sign of disloyalty to Leica in general. Even some LUG
posters who describe problems with cameras or service urge others to
buy the camera to support the company. This is peer pressure at it's
worst. More important, if won't save Leica if they don't produce
fault free cameras.

My reluctance to buy an M8 is based on the fact that it would be a
marginal purchase for me, done primarily for curiosity. I currently
own a couple of rock solid M3s and a CL and about half a dozen Leica
lenses, none newer than the 80s. Even selling all my Leica bodies
wouldn't pay for half the cost of an M8. And then I would just have
the old lenses to use with it. For me, the real advantage of the
older Leicas is that they can tolerate a good deal of benign neglect.
I can leave them in a drawer for months on end, then pop in a roll of
film and they are ready to use. As long as the film is fresh, the
results are generally good. No batteries to charge, cards to format,
white balance, banding, or magenta problems. Only three adjustments,
focus, shutter, lens opening. My DSLR has 15 modes of operation, each
with half a dozen submodes. The mind boggles.

But then I don't make a living from photography. I can't depreciate
an unreliable expensive camera as a tool of the trade. I don't get
free loaners. I live in the sticks and the closest camera store
handing the Leica line is 50 miles away. The fact that the M8 is a
digital doppleganger of the Leica is almost irrelevant. I would use
my Leica lenses on a Box Brownie if I could be assured that it would
always work when I clicked the shutter.

After I retired, I started a second career as a travel writer/
photographer selling mostly to marine and boating magazines. I must
confess that most of my photographic work is done with Olympus OM
cameras and assorted digitals. At first I felt that the Leicas were
too valuable to take out on a boat but then I got seduced by the dark
side of SLRs with auto exposure, opening backs, and nice, bright
viewfinders. I can even use all my Olympus lenses on the E-500 DSLR.
Too bad someone doesn't make an adapter to let me mount Leica lenses
on the camera.

Now I feel better.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Re: M8 problems)