Subject: [Leica] rats - probably bad M8 sensor IMG
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Mon Aug 27 09:17:42 2007

I agree with Leonard regarding the noise on CCD's. It really comes
with the territory. Essentially when you ask a CCD to become
increasingly "sensitive" you're increasing the "gain" and you'll see
the results as noise. You'll see this even in the $20K CCD MF backs.
If you want or need high ISO performance you really need to use the C-
MOS sensor cameras. You'll then receive the trade-off in the mushy,
plastic look which those sensors seem to deliver in the lower ISO range.

While I wish the M8 delivered C-MOS results at high ISOs - I would
not want to trade off the spectacular results achieved at 640 and
below to achieve it.

Our DMR went to the shop last week and I've been forced back to the
5D. All I can say is that I really miss the DMR. The 5D image files
simply appear soft and mushy when compared to the DMR or M8 files.
The color less "real" for my taste. The fine detail simply isn't
there, even when using the same Leica R glass. Even though the high
ISO quality is quite amazing and occasionally very useful.

Each tool delivers according to its design and execution. Pushing the
tool beyond its design limits results in less than ideal imaging.
That's why, in the video world, one brings lights to the set rather
than increase the gain.

As far as the vertical line on the right with the questionable pixel
(s) - that appears to be an issue to discuss with Leica.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com

Replies: Reply from faneuil at gmail.com (Eric Korenman) ([Leica] rats - probably bad M8 sensor IMG)