Subject: [Leica] OT: New iMac question
From: charlie at droolassicpark.com (Charlie Meyer)
Date: Fri Aug 24 05:03:00 2007

IMHO, the Mac has far fewer problems with viruses/malware/spyware
because the Windoze market is a much fatter target.  I don't use
virus software on my macs, but then again I don't download
executables from the net (other than Apple/Adobe/known source
updates), and backup photos and other files I don't want to lose.
It's not that there is no risk, just far, far less of one given our
market share.  Having had my feet in multiple platforms over the
better part of the last quarter century, I use Windose at work
(groan), and Macs (and the odd Sun) here at home. The next major
release of Mac OS X (10.5) is due in October (yay!).

The IntelMacs, like yours, can use both Mac OS and Windoze.  I'm not
sure the virus issue remains minimal if one is running windoze on a Mac.

The shiny screen seems to be a 'love/hate' feature.  I'm tempted to
try the macbook or iMac, but methinks I'll replace/supplement my G4
mini with a dual-core intel Mini from a simple financial standpoint,
keeping the monitors and other peripherals I use now..

Every time the Mac/Windoze topic comes up, the street clashes begin.
Try them both and see what fits you best.

FWIW: At least I am NOT having to deal with Dell 'tech support' in
Bangalore/Hyderabad being told to 'reinstall XP'.  I deal with enough
folks with hard to decypher accents, reading from scripts, telling me
their name is 'Frank' or 'Joe' as it is. (And the boss wouldn't take
kindly to me replying to the offshore centers with 'and my name is
Indira Ghandi, mate'.)  Apple tech support, having used it fewer than
ten times since 1985, is far better, IMHO.

Have at least a gig of memory.

Charlie