Subject: [Leica] New Tri-Elmar Price
From: charlie at droolassicpark.com (Charlie Meyer)
Date: Sun Aug 5 10:34:41 2007

Spot on, Jim...

Short of a winning Powerball lotto ticket, I don't see an M8, a Nocti
(the lens that makes it's own light) or a tri-elmar in my bag anytime
soon, but there has always been 'new' Leica gear that gives folks
'sticker shock'.  Even in 1954, $250 for a 'new' M3 was beaucoup
bucks compared with other cameras, and my 35mm and 50mm 'crons were
the cat's meow when cars sported tailfins.   Those with the desire
and dinero will keep buying the newest. That won't change.  The 'rest
of us' are mostly happy with what we have.

On the other hand, at least Leica is still developing new stuff that
makes us drool.  Meaningful innovations like a digital body that sets
the gold standard and continuing releases of lens technology are
keeping the name thriving with substance instead of being offered
faux pink poodle skin coverings for the glitterati when Hermes was
calling the shots.  They're still being First World made in Germany,
unlike the plastic technocrap engineered to be assembled by folks
whose last job was assistant manure commissar's helper at Chairman
Mao's Death to Kulaks Peoples' Collective Farm Nr 789565/b.

There is elegance in our Leicas.  I doubt any of the few hundred
thousand made over the last several decades have been consigned to
the trash bin in short order like virtually everything else.  If they
have, maybe I'll take up dumpster diving.

I'm anxiously waiting for the rain to stop so I can grab my M3 and
'crons and go out and shoot.  From this list, I know I won't be alone
making fine mechanical clicks.

Charlie