Subject: [Leica] OT: Ham and Ham and Ham
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Aug 21 15:58:25 2007

Like a fine wine, I do not travel well, so I have
never been to Spain.  I have eaten high-end
Spanish and Italian ham, though, as these are
imported into the US.  You can get these even in
Southern Ham rich areas as Richmond,
Virginia.  Hell, the Commissary at Fort Lee
stocks Bavarian and Italian hams, though I've not noted any Spanish hams
there.

I live about forty or fifty miels from
Smithfield, Virginia, the home of the ultimate
Southern ham.  Great stuff and highly
recommended.  Hams can be cured in several ways
-- smoked, sugar-cured, or salted, among
others.  Those who have only had a sugar-cured ham are missing the point.

A slab of smoked ham, a couple of eggs, and some
grits.  Now, THAT is real eating.

Later this week, I have to drive across Richmond
to pick up my latest shipment of Nova Scotia
Kippered Herring.  That is ALSO a favored meal,
though I've never tried it with spoon bread.  Who
knows?  Maybe this is the time!

And whatever became of that magnificent canned
bacon we used to be able to buy from
Hungary?  The fall of Communism cost us ORWO
paper and, I fear, canned bacon as well.  It must
be true that even a silver cloud has a dark lining!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] OT: Ham and Ham and Ham)