Subject: [Leica] LeMans the movie on now
From: rmcclure2 at woh.rr.com (Rob McClure)
Date: Mon Aug 20 14:11:05 2007

Marc,

The Bullitt chase scene is one of the greatest ever filmed IMHO.  It
was perhaps more real than the computer enhanced stuff they do today.
That said, they went through a couple Dodge Chargers and a Mustang or
two during the filming.  I read somewhere that the first time they went
airborne over the bumps they broke all the shocks in both cars.  They
did some major reinforcement.  For you car buffs, the bad guys Charger
was a Hemi ( what would one of those be worth today?) and McQueens
Mustang had a really hot 289.  McQueen supposedly did all the driving
for the close shots.  At about the same time, the French Connection
chase scene often competed with Bullitt for best.  No comparison, in my
book.  Hackman was driving some POS Pontiac.  To have a great chase
scene you need really hot cars.  Like in Vanishing Point, my second
favorite chase movie -- that Dodge Challenger could fly (as it did into
the bulldozers at the end).  I need to go rent these movies again --
been too long.

Rob McClure