Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 review, M9 anticipation
From: rmcclure2 at woh.rr.com (Rob McClure)
Date: Thu Aug 9 18:40:22 2007

Clive,

You make some interesting points.  I have agonized over the obsolence
Canon built into their SLR's when they switch from manual focus FD
bodies and lenses to the autofocus EOS series.  Unlike Nikon, their old
FD lenses were instantly obsolete with their latest bodies.  My agony
became even greater with the release of EOS mount DSLR's.
Photographers with old Leica and Pentax lenses could mount them on EOS
bodies with only a simple adapter.  Those of us with a bag full of FD
stuff were SOL.  However, Canon maintained that this was not done as
deliberate, planned obsolence.  To provide superior performance with
their new autofocus lenses, they felt it necessary to greatly enlarge
the size of the mount and its location in reference to the film (or
sensor) plane.  Is this true? I think so -- look at Canon's past
dominance in the professional photo market with arguably the quietest,
fast focusing automatic lens system available.  I believe this is an
example as you would say, "a passion to improve the product", not built
in obsolescence.

Regards,

Rob McClure