Subject: [Leica] I can't print my petunias!!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Aug 20 11:51:40 2007

> I wrote:
>> I just could not believe these petunias.  Even in the shade, they seemed
>> to be florescent.
> <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1001127UVPetunias.jpg.html>
>
> My printer couldn't believe the colors, either.  I just tried to print the
> above picture, and the colors came out very different from the
> screen.  Instead of the florescent magenta-purple, I get very red
> flowers.  Red like a Poinsettia at Christmas.  The only place a few petals
> look purple is on the very left, at the top right, where the flowers are a
> little faded or shaded.  But not jaded.
>
> Have I encountered the dreaded out of gamut conundrum? Did the ghost of Dr.
> Fourrier, immortalized in my print driver, take a look at the RGB numbers
> and refuse to transform?  "No way," he'd say. I'd overflow my
> register.  I'd divide by zero and disappear into a Black Hole.  And my cat
> would die!"
>
> I had the same results on two different printers, an R200 and an
> R1800.  The R1800 did a little better, but had basically the same
> problem.  I printed from a 16-bit TIFF. I generally use sRGB color space
> for workflow simplicity.  Might I have a better chance of getting the
> colors right if I used Adobe RGB? Or if I tweaked the rendering intent?  Or
> are the printers just not capable of reproducing this color?  Is this a
> case of The Effect of Out of Gamut Rays On Man-In-The-Moon Purple Petunias?
>
> Seriously, this is not a huge deal, but I'm curious what to do about
> it.  This is only the second time I've encountered a color that totally
> weirded out my printer.
>
> --Peter

The proper way to print petunias.
Which glow.

I think you'd need to go in there again with a special spot color.
Pantone Petunia Purple 107B.
Down spot down!!

But you're need proper Registration marks.
So bring your passport protection plan.

You must shake the Pantone Petunia Purple cartridge clockwise in the
vertical dimension.
Wearing asbestos lead gloves. And don't get it in your eyes.

Every time I'd put on the asbestos lead gloves my German Shepard used to go
nuts. Thought I wanted to play with him. Rough.

Rough Rough! He'd say.

The covers of the American Vogues in the 80s were done by Avedon most of the
time Brook Shields when she was 13 and he'd shoot it with the 105mm uv Zeiss
planar lens for the Hasselblad you can rent both I'm sure. I think and
they'd Spotone it I think with Pantone Petunia Purple 1072B.

Same with the editorial of her inside. It was very effective.
They did this effect a half dozen times. For real.
Maybe they made one for Rollei too.
If you gave them a bottle of Jack Daniels.

And you need a blacklight.
And some posters.

I thought I was afraid Now I'm alone. (to the effect)
War is not healthy for children and other living things.
And so on.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com