Subject: [Leica] philosophy of street photography
From: h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche)
Date: Sun Aug 19 12:55:19 2007

Short answer?

  Like photojournalism its a form of documentation, and as in journalism the
ethic is to not influence the situation. The intent, however, counter to
standard journalism, is to elevate the most banal and mundane of human
activities to being worthy of attention and keeping a record of.

  Much more than photojournalism, looking at SP gives me the living feeling
of a time and place other than my own.

Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> wrote:
  I've been curious for years why it is that the norm in street photography
is
not to interact with the subjects. I am primarily a portrait person, and
everything about portraiture involves interacting with the subject. The
street photographs that get the most accolades seem to be those in which the
photographed subjects do not show awareness of the photographer. I always
find that unsettling.

Why is this? Is there some philosophical basis, or is it just habit?

Brian