Subject: [Leica] PAW 31 AND A QUESTION.
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Aug 6 16:32:29 2007

> The 220 has a ? 1/2.5" Type CCD censor
> A normal lens based on the imaging diagonal would be 10mm.
> 5.760 width by 4.290 height in mms
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz20/page9.asp
> "Visible noise at ISO's above 100"
>

> On the 230 its a ? 1/1.8" Type CCD
> A 9mm lens would be the normal lens for this format.
> 7.176 width by 5.319 height in mms
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz30/page17.asp
> "Noise is even an issue at ISO 80, a real problem at ISO 400 or in very low
> light"
>
> Its got a smaller sensor and a slower lens it is a cheaper camera?
>

> http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Camera_System/sensor_sizes_01.htm
>

> These highfalutin cameras have very small sensors.
>
> Like putting a zoom high end lens in front of a Minox;
> Fun to use; but then what have you got?
> I'd get into at least 4/3 if not 1.8* formats the cameras or no bigger in
> size
> then these in the hand and really as much fun to shoot with.
>
> Have my normal lens be a 22 or 28 instead of a 10 or 9.
>

> Sensor (mm)
> Type Diagonal
> 1/3.6"      5.000
> 1/3.2"      5.680
> 1/3"      6.000
> 1/2.7"      6.721
> 1/2.5"      7.182
> 1/2"      8
> 1/1.8"      8.933
> 1/1.7"      9.500
> 2/3"      11.000
> 1"      16.800
> 4/3"      22.500
> 1.8" (*)       28.400
> 35 mm film       43.300
>
> (*) this is APS-C for the 1.5 crop circle factor.
> Would be cool to know the crop factor on all these formats.
>
> When buying a camera we have to try to not get overwhelmed by the
> resolution
> numbers the amount of megapixels...
> And first look at the size of the format itself.
> Which is the size of the sensor
> Or film maybe.
>

> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz30/
>
> I'm just seeing now when they came out with the 230 they increased the
> megapixels from 5  to 8
> While down sizing the sensor size from 10 to 9mm.
> That's messed up!
> That ain't right!
>
> These are the people making Leica digital cameras for the masses!
>
> I always look first to these DP people.
> If they are saying you have a noise issue at ISO 80 then you've got a real
> problem.
> I don't have a camera which goes down to ISO 80.
> My new one goes down to 100, my first one goes down to 200.
> I tend to shoot at ISO 1000 as do many but that's changing.
>

> Mark William Rabiner
> Harlem, NY
>
> rabinergroup.com

Ok well this is screwed up.

The diagonal of the  220 camera with its  1/2.5" Type CCD is 7mm not 10mm.
I was looking at tube size perhaps.

So they did upgrade the size of their CCD as well is it's "resolution".
>From 7 to 9 mms.

So your normal lens for you 220 is a 7mm!
A little hard to miss your focus I think they're a prize they give out once
a year when someone misses their focus with this thing.

I'm remembering that bubble lens nikon made in the early 70s in which you'd
need to have your mirror locked up and you'd use a viewfinder to use it.
On your F2

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com