Subject: [Leica] B&W filters with digital
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Sat Aug 4 17:34:42 2007

>> I have a general rule: Use PS only for cropping.
>
>Come on. You can't be serious. Pay 650 USD for a cropping tool?
>Use it for everything it was made for. If used right, no erszatz
>about it.
>Exactly the same effects can be obtained in PS as can be with filters.
>With the advantage that you, after you made the shot, can decide
>which filter would have been the right option.

I'd like to see some actual comparison photos, comparing filtration at time
of exposure vs. Photoshop filtration.  My general rule for best image
quality is to do the best work I can at each step of the process rather than
relying on fixing things later in Photoshop.  I use PS primarily for dust
that I couldn't get off the sensor (& scratches for film scans), minor color
tweaks, and cropping.  I would think that proper exposure of the desired
color channels at time of exposure would beat pulling detail out of an image
that was exposed primarily for an average blend of the channels rather than
for a specific channel.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com