Subject: [Leica] Forbidden building
From: fehutchings at cableone.net (fred hutchings)
Date: Sun Jun 17 16:07:37 2007

Frank Filippone wrote:
> OK... you are the first person to represent the other side of this
> discussion....Most excellent....
>
> I am 50++, Italian with a olive complexion, was born in the US, speak
> without an accent ( well, NJ is not exactly the accent capital of the
> world), and carry a full and obvious camera bag.  I park in designated
> parking spaces, obey the laws for driving, pedestrian traffic, etc.
> I show up with a 4x5 ( or larger ) camera, set up a tripod, take a full 30
> minutes to an hour to take a picture.....I am as obvious as it is possible
> to be.  I take pictures of public buildings that have been there for maybe
> 50 years, all along photographed to the hilt, both publicly and privately.
> Photos of things I shoot are available in the city archives, library, and
> on
> line.  I take the pictures from public property ( the street) where it is
> totally legal to do so.  I am an amateur who takes pictures for his own
> enjoyment, not for resale nor PJ.
>
> The bad guys hide their cameras, take at best, a digital 35mm picture in
> like 5 seconds, and make sure no one sees them.
>
> So why exactly are banks or other institutions  worried about people like
> me?  What can we do to be more obvious, less threatening, or otherwise get
> people less upset?
>
> If we ask for permission, we are almost always told no.... without valid
> reason.  ( It is company policy, even though there is no law to allow this
> position, or it is against the law, which is a falsehood,  or they give no
> reason and threaten to call the cops, or the ultimate.. the person that can
> authorize your taking pictures is not available)
>
> How can we get permission to take pictures without going through a lot of
> hassle....  the guys with P+S digitals take the same picture and are not
> bothered......
>
> Why pick on folk like me?  I am not a threat.
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i@earthlink.net

It is a knee-jerk reaction and a form of public paranoia; and the media
doesn't help.

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Forbidden building)
Message from rmcclure2 at woh.rr.com (Rob McClure) ([Leica] Forbidden building)
Message from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Forbidden building)