Subject: [Leica] Leica M6/Tri-X vs. Ricoh GR-D and Leica D-Lux 3
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Jun 10 01:13:24 2007

On 6/8/07 9:43 PM, "mitcha@mac.com" <mitcha@mac.com> typed:

> The grain factor is the reason that I've stuck to small-sensor
> cameras (the Ricoh GR-D and Leica D-Lux 3) rather than getting an M8,
> with which I would have to shoot at ISO1250 or 2500 to get a grain
> effect -- I don't like to put in grain artificially because, although
> I do a lot of post-processing, I like to work more "directly" with
> regard to grain.
>
> At the url below you can see a "slideshow" of 112 B&W pictures, my
> "Bangkok Series", of which 48 were taken with the Leica M6 (mainly
> with Tri-X, HP5 and some Fuji 1600) and the rest with mainly with the
> GR-D, and some with the Leica D-Lux 3. Granted that they're only
> small jpegs, but I think they nevetheless show the qulaity of B&W
> that you can get with small-sensor digital cameras:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/sets/72157594271568487/show/
>
> Incidentally, this series is in four "chapters", but without any
> chapter titles.
>
> ?Mitch/Bangkok

Excellent images and those small sensors are certainly not a problem for
this application if anything they're perfectly matched, but these shots we
see here on our screens are just a few hundred pixies across.
The only problem is when you want to make a print of any size with them
which is 240 to 360 dpi instead of 72.
Then you have to keep it small or just have it looks the way it looks.
Thinned out a bit passed it's meaty point.

If I was doing website picture I'd use any camera I wanted.
A Minox if they wanted film.
The smallest format I have is half frame an Olympus pen ft which I need to
round out some more glass to make it a complete system.
72 on a roll.

Mark Rabiner
Harlem, NY

markrabiner.com