Subject: [Leica] 3 E discontinued
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Jun 9 12:48:14 2007

On 6/9/07 3:16 PM, "Jeff Moore" <jbm@jbm.org> typed:

> 2007-06-09-01:42:13 Mark Rabiner:
>> Or old comers even. I've been on the LUG 11 years never have I seen 3E.
>
> That's funny -- because I knew exactly what it meant, without having to
> think about it.  Which means I've encountered it before.  I tried to
> search for "3E" in the LUG archives, but the search engine didn't find
> anything -- but I don't know if that's because it isn't there, or
> because the LUG search stuff refuses to look for anything that short.
>
> If I'm not familiar with this 2LA from the LUG, perhaps I saw it
> somewhere in TCWOEP (The Collected Writings Of Erwin Puts).
>
>  -Jeff

Lots of us are engineers and there are lots of kinds of engineers I don't
know if its true or not about engineers making anagrams of everything and
feeling reel comfortable about it and everyone making fun of them but if it
is or for whatever reason there are lots of people on the LUG who are not
engineers or for whatever reason don't think like that.
We think in words not individual letters  and secret code numbers.
I suggest we write to be understood, not be cultish.

Someone should be able to sign on to the LUG and not feel like he has to go
thought some depraved right of passage naked before he or she has a clue
what is going on. I'm not innocent. There are some anagrams I use and feel
real guilty about about afterwards. Which makes it ok.

In normal conversion with people I meet with cameras  I'll use the term
"CLA" and then quickly go on to fill in the letters behind  as I see the
glaze quickly form over the eyes every single time. Which is CLEAN LUBRICATE
ADJUST hands up those who did not know that if there are 1000 lurkers I bet
it was dozens and dozens and dozens.
And they're not going to say something they'll glaze in silence in the
shadows.
Same with LTM Leica thread mount.

I used to also get annoyed when people would describe films by the code
words this happened in the real world among pros and very serious shooters
and I never had a clue had to use my fingers and figure out when TM-X Y or Z
was.
Which is t max 100 400 or 3200 respectively. I hate having to use my fingers
when I think. Even just 3 fingers.

But that's no big deal it was the color slide films which changed every two
years with its cliquish code words as to what the heck they meant. You had
to carry a list in your wallet (I did that at one point) or just ask every
time. Or avoid people who could not say "Ektachrome X"

I'm always glad to be NOT one of the True Believers.

Mark Rabiner
Harlem, NY

markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] 3 E discontinued)