Subject: [Leica] Re: Image storage
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Jun 2 16:39:07 2007

On Jun 2, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Brian wrote:

>>> A 500GB hard drive that costs US$100 can store 5GB per dollar
>> Can you point me to (recommend) brand and place to purchase such
>> drives?
>
> I buy bare "OEM" drives and connect them via a separate USB hookup
> that I re-use from disk to disk. I get the disks locally at "dot
> com depot" in Santa Clara (408) 738-3895. I'm sure they would sell
> to you mail order if you phone them. Their stock and prices vary
> from day to day; at this instant their price on a Seagate 500GB IDE
> Barracuda is $129.95 but I bet that if I drove down there they'd
> have something cheaper.
>
> I buy drives about 4 times a year; it is pointless to stockpile
> them. I like Seagate Barracuda drives; right now I am using the
> 500GB drives for archival storage because I got a great price on 3
> of them a couple of months ago, but if I see a great price on some
> smaller size I might buy those next time.  Recently the 400GB
> Seagate IDE drives were going for about $66 on eBay (see item
> 260116726684, for example). Those disks (400GB Seagate IDE) are
> quite regularly available on Amazon.com under
> $100.
>
> To put data onto a disk, I attach one of these to it and plug it
> into my computer:
>
>    http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=13779
>
> Then when I'm done, I remove the disk from the USB harness, put it
> into a Glad bag, and put it into a fire-resistant strongbox.

And all this is easier than burning picture files into a DVD? You've
got to be kidding. Last night I saved the contents of my iPhoto
Library (about 11.3 Gb) to 3 DVD discs. The whole process took about
an hour. All I had to do was change the DVD when each was ejected
from the computer. Mac OS 10.4 lets you multitask so I could surf the
web between disc changes. I create a new iPhoto Library about twice a
month so the DVDs are labeled with the date and rough notes about the
types of images on each. For safety, I burn duplicate DVDs using
Toast 6. It's a lot quicker than burning a duplicate from iPhoto. The
spares are simply stored in a file cabinet in the garage (in case the
house burns down). Simple - no engineering degree required.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Re: Image storage)
Reply from craig at craigschroeder.com (Craig Schroeder) ([Leica] Re: Image storage)
Reply from dlr at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Re: Image storage)