Subject: [Leica] Re: DVD failure
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun Jun 3 19:33:09 2007

In early 2004, NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology)
looked at CDs and DVDs to see how long digital information recorded
on to them would survive. They concluded that most CDs and DVDs will
last 30 years or more if handled with care, but many factors can
slash their longevity. Direct exposure to sunlight can do a great
deal of damage both from the sun's ultraviolet rays and the heat.
Indeed, any rapid significant change in temperature or humidity can
stress the materials. Discs last longest when stored in plastic cases
in a cool, dark, dry environment. Because gravity can gradually bend
the disc, storing it upright like a book is best for long-term
storage. The study also found that fingerprints and smudges
frequently do more damage than scratches, and recommends handling
discs by the outer edge or the center hole.

If the data is extremely important put the files on two different
discs and physically separate them. If you have a fireproof safe or
safety deposit box is an excellent place to store one set of vital
discs. At the office or at home, place the other disc copies flat on
the lowest shelf of a cabinet possible.

Remember you can?t rely on hard drives. Despite the fact that the
cost/GB is extremely attractive, drives do have a relatively high
failure rate ? compared to CDs/DVDs ? and should you lose a drive you
are likely to lose everything that hasn?t been backed up someplace
else. A 500 GB drive will hold the contents of 100 DVDs but if a DVD
becomes unreadable, you lose only 1% of the total stored data. If the
hard drive fails, you lose 100%.

The best advice ? buy smart, test what you record then protect/handle
critical discs as best as you can.

So If I can get 30 years life from a DVD (or even 10 years), that
will suit me fine. The good images will be transfered to whatever new
storage technology comes along, perhaps even holographic storage in
crystals, the bad images discarded. By that time I should have enough
perspective to tell me which is which. The side benefit is that I
will have an unlimited supply of drink coasters.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Re: DVD failure)
Reply from crbirchenhall at googlemail.com (Christopher Birchenhall) ([Leica] Re: DVD failure)