Subject: [Leica] IMG: Hoppy helped me- Saga continues
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon May 21 16:20:46 2007

Philippe, you have been unfaithful! Sharing your picture with that Germanic
hussy, Douglas!
Some sort of tri-national photographic m?nage ? trois.
I think that the brazen and shameless Douglas has also noted the very
dramatic effect of your darker original for the mountains and
sky. In his case he has selected and darkened the mountain area to the left.
As requested, here is a pr?cis of your picture's evolution (here) from your
RAW file.
Your visualisation, composition and exposure decision which retained all of
the detail needed,
Your crop,
Conversion to 16 bit Tiff, minor spotting, black /white points set via levels
Conversion to BW with simulated red filter
Global tonal adjustment to render the building detail visible, shadows
opened marginally, mid- tones brightened a little
Top half burnt in to darken sky and mountains
BW toned as platinum
Edge sharpen for better delineation of detail

The last version was an attempt to return the rendering closer to YOUR
interpretation of your picture. A very careful selection of
the building only, for the roof that meant some pretty jagged lines around
the edge of the shingles! About a gazillion mouse clicks.
Selection inverted, then considerable darkening of all but the building.
This gives much more of your original drama to the
mountains and sky, also taking into account that you felt the road and grass
to be too prominent in your original.

In hindsight maybe a gradated darkening of all but the building might have
been more effective. Aah well, I continue to work on
developing my Photoshop darkroom techniques.

s?jour fid?le vous n'aimez pas votre petite amie allemande

cheers
Hoppy