Subject: [Leica] Leica Digilux 2 repair issue epilog
From: joeaksa at attglobal.net (joeaksa@attglobal.net)
Date: Fri Mar 30 15:57:50 2007

I posted a message on the LUG about three months ago on the LUG about my
Digilux 2 that I had been having problems with. Most of the problems I felt
were with
the Leica NA service center, and dealing with a lack of communication. The
camera
had been sent in for a replacement in the on/off switch and returned in an
unusuable
condition.

After posting to this list I received several emails. One of them was from
Steve
Barbour, a list member who lives here in Phoenix. He was very helpful and
directed
me to Sandy Ritz, who runs a camera store here in town and is an old hand at
Leica's.

I called Sandy and he then directed me to Leslie Sales, who is the Leica
field rep for
this part of the country. Lucky for me she as well lives in Phoenix. Leslie
was out of
town, but I ended up talking with her Brother. Leslie and her Brother work
together
and were very professional and always got back to me by phone or email.

I was told to send the camera back to Leica NA immediately and they even
provided
me with free shipping. The big change was that he told me to send everything
in,
batteries, charger and so on.

Lucky for me Leslie was going to be in New Jersey at the Leica facility the
following
week when my camera arrived. She discussed my situation with various people
and
immediately I started getting progress reports, something that had never
happened
in the past.

>From what I hear the camera was essencially taken totally apart and checked
>every
where. It had been getting hot on the back side of the case, and had a
electrical
popping noise at the same time in the same area. After sending it to Leica
twice for
the same thing after the on/off switch was replaced, and its then being
returning in
the same condition I was getting a bit perturbed at the lack of service.

Evidently the Leica technicians use a bench type power supply when working
on
camera's, which is understandable. They want a clean, strong and accurate
source
of power for the camera and a battery runs down, needs recharging and so on.
It
seems that part of the problem was that once the camera is out in the field
we use
the battery, and this was masking part of the problem on my camera. The
problem
evidently was not occuring with the power supply but would with the battery.

Next issue was that the display on the back was showing funny lines on it
after being
returned from one of the service trips. They ended up finding that the
sensor unit was
bad and they replaced it. Evidently this is a common issue with the D2
recently and
they are fixing many camera's that are out of warranty to take care of the
problem.
As well they ended up replacing both of my batteries!

I have had the camera back for about two month's now and its been to various
places around the world. I travel for a living and the camera worked
flawlessly every
time and every place I used it. The photos are excellent and new display on
the back
looks very nice.

Thanks to everyone who assisted in this, especially Leslie Sales and her
team, as
well as Robert Fisk and the Leica group in New Jersey. Hope to someday meet
Steve and Sandy and buy them a lunch or dinner for their help, and am
scheduled to
meet with Leslie for a M8 program in a month or so.

Thanks again to the LUG!

Joe Abrahamson
Phoenix Arizona

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Leica Digilux 2 repair issue epilog)