Subject: [Leica] CV lens recommendations
From: leicam4pro at yahoo.com (Photo Phreak)
Date: Fri Mar 30 12:07:56 2007

Has anyone compared the lens formula for these two with the two old
SuperAngulons ?

  I get the impression that some of these "new" rangefinder lenses are the
older formula lenses with computer recomputation, more modern glass and
multi-coating.  I am sure modern production technology may help as well.

  As good as the newer Leica 21s have been they do not alway seem to produce
an image with the same "character" as the SuperAngulons do.  The
SuperAngulons were true short focus lenses where the newer 21s are
retrofocus or reverse-telephoto.  Both have distinctive "signatures".

Thank you very much for the information on the CV glass. I particularly
find useful the fact that the 21/4 is superior to the 21/2.8
non-aspheric. If I were to have bought one I more than likely would have
chosen the faster lens. More than one person has told me they do not
like the Nokton for various reasons. I won't be buying it. Some also
say that the glass flares and other that it doesn't. I tend to believe
that if it happens to one it could happen to all. From what I am hearing
the CV lens is not as good as Leica but still a good value for the
money. I have had recommendations for the 50/2.0 Heliar and the APO 90.
Over the weekend I will decide which of these two I would like to have.

Jack