Subject: [Leica] Film/Digital (was: I'm blaming Ted)
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Tue Mar 27 08:04:12 2007

At this moment in history I believe it fair to say:
        If one exposes 6 square centimeters on transparency film with a
rated speed of 200
        scans that transparency on a drum scanner to the same resolution as
that produced by the sensor one is comparing to
        and
        one exposes 6 square centimeters on today's best sensor with a rated

speed of 200
        with all other things about the subject and lens being equal
        locked down on a solid tripod
        same f stop
        same shutter speed
        subject without movement
you will not see a resolution difference between the two images
you will at some magnification see the grain of the film in the
scanned transparency
and this may give the digital capture (at that magnification) the
illusion of greater resolution.

The medium format folks, working with the 22 + megapixel backs are
finding the best lenses unable to resolve the detail that the backs
are capable of.

YMMV

Regards,
George Lottermoser