Subject: [Leica] Film/Digital (was: I'm blaming Ted)
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Tue Mar 27 07:04:32 2007

Sorry Didier, I disagree.  Film is still a long way ahead of digital in
resolution and will continue to be in that position for the
foreseeable future.  And I am not saying 4x5 film vs APS sensor.  I may want
to pick the film out ( no TriX) to be sure I win the
argument.  Size for size of sensor, digital is still in second place.

What makes digital look higher resolution is the printing algorithms.

However, the best resolution possible is film scanned to digital to print.
Best of all worlds.

In terms of dynamic range, film has a given dynamic range.  You can push and
pull film to get this range to contract or expand it a
bit.  Digital has the unique ability to allow the user to change  those
setting on a frame by frame basis.  Probably digital has
more dynamic range considering these issues.

NOTE:  No disagreement with digital for convenience, cost over a lot of
rolls of film, nor instant response.  Probably none for the
Pro shooting for a living.  Digital excels in these areas.

But not resolution.  Not now, maybe not in the future.

Frank Filippone, film user.
red735i@earthlink.net

Frank
There's nothing to argue about what you say. Digital has passed film in
terms of resolution and dynamic range since several years;

Replies: Reply from leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Film/Digital)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Film/Digital (was: I'm blaming Ted))
Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] I'm blaming Ted!)
Message from leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Film/Digital (was: I'm blaming Ted))