Subject: [Leica] Didier's PAW evokes Peter's memories
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu Jan 11 14:39:26 2007

Re: <http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/switzerland/01-03Geneva.htm>

Frank:  "Schmutz" means "dirt" in German and Yiddish. It's not a French
word, but it is a legitimate surname in French.

So, the picture is a multilingual pun: Monsieur Dirt named his Geneva
business after himself.  And to me, it's doubly funny because of the way
my Nana used the word.

Nana (my maternal grandmother), was a Parisian Jew, and spoke both French
and Yiddish in addition to English. She used "schmutz" even when speaking
English, as if it were one of those words that had connotations beyond
what English could express.  When Nana said "schmutz," it often referred
to New York soot that had built up for months behind the furniture, or
slimy kitchen refuse. Or, euphemistically, that which makes dirty diapers
dirty.  In other words, it wasn't mere dirt, it was especially dirty dirt.

So there I am walking across a bridge in Geneva, hearing French all around
me, which makes me think of Nana.  Just then, a red car emblazoned
"Schumtz & Cie" stops in traffic right beside me.  Serendipity.

Just for fun, I Googled the business name on the car.  It's a electrical
and mechanical shop specializing in motors, pumps, fans and such. I
remember seeing something to that effect on car's lettering on the
original scan, thanks to the superior sharpness of Summicron M lenses (on
topic).

Here they are:
<http://www.schmutz-cie.ch/home.aspx>
They're hiring!