Subject: [Leica] M8 Article in LFI
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu Jan 11 07:56:53 2007

A quick look at compression..... and lossy vs, non-lossy.....  this is
really a quickie and basic explanation.  Usually the
compression algortihims are quite complex.  Here I have used an easy
algorithim.  Actual compression algorithms are  a lot more
complex, but this example shows the principles.

Note.... compression has nothing to do with photographic images,  It is a
mathematical process used on a st of data.  One of the
chief uses for compression is image compression.

Original data.....a series of binary bits
0111110010001011111111111

 Compression without loss.. hex format
0500100010C

Compression with loss
I guess I could do this more elegantly, but think of it as a math
relationship on every 5 bits, averaged and outputted as a single
bit....
10011

When uncompressed, the results are possibly
Lossless:  a precise replication of the original data
0111110010001011111111111

Lossy: a mathematically derived representation of the original data.
11111000000000011111111111

Why the difference?  Loss.

The whole issue of loss is compression density vs fidelity.  Mathematical
representations are approximations of the original data.
( some simple examples include truncation by rounding, multiplication and
keeping the same number of input and output bits, etc.)

This gets REALLY nerdy, and I am afraid Ted would throw a fit or reach for
another bottle of his favorite whisky.  So suffice it to
say that Lossy compression is representational and lossless is accurate.

ALL the printers that  you use at home, and let's say 99.9999999% of the
prints you have made at most labs are lossy prints.  Where
do you think the extra pixels come from?  Decompressed data from the image
file.  So iin the long run, 99.999999999% of all your
images now are involved with lossy algorithms, no matter how you took the
original capture.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Message from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] M8 Article in LFI)