Subject: [Leica] Re:IMG Rain Jump by Italo Camerino
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Dec 26 13:59:58 2006

ted said:
>>Well OK this put's HCB to bed! Without question a one shot in a lifetime!
>>
>>It's like this, "OK Henri don't feel bad, but old buddy you've just had
>>yer ass shot off!" ;-) And in Canada no less! :-) Love it!<<<<

Richard responded:
> Hmmm.... Ted, I will have to disagree on this. It's not that I have a
> somewhat deified view of HCB (I do :-) ), and I do agree that in terms of
> sheer expression, this one is by far better, BUT... the genius of HCB is
> not just the peak action, but everything comes together in the lines, the
> forms, the composition, the jumping ballerina poster...
>
> No disrespect to Italo of course. This is a great shot. I would be so
> lucky to get anything remotely as powerful in a lifetime.<<<<

Hi Richard,
HCB's "jump" photo was I believe, repeated a number of times until he got
what he wanted. I'm not saying that is true, but I have read a number of
times over the years as rumoured, the man jumped several times. Actually
some years ago we discussed this very picture on the LUG and about how many
times HCB shot it.

Now if that is the case and it were re-enacted a number of times for
HCB,doesn't that put a whole new light on which of these two photos is the
better? That is if we need declare a best?

One falls into a staged scene, the other a real life moment captrued by an
astute re-action to action photographer.

I'd be hard pressed not to accept the lady over HCB's re-enactment, I mean
shoot any situation enough times and one can, in most cases, finally get
something with magic. It really falls into a staged picture, HCB's. Or this
lady without question that put's HCB to bed!!

Simply because just imagine saying to this lady....."Oh excuse me my dear
would you mind jumping again I don't quite have the lines all going the
right way?" ;-)

Talk about peak action for example regardless of HCB's photo, the lady is
about as instant as it can get! Such a wonderful peak action moment is truly
a "once in a lifetime photograph."

Sorry the re-enactment is good with all it's lines and composition, but by
no means touches this "one shot moment of real life!!

Say "goodnight Henri it'll only hurt for a little while!" ;-)

ted

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Re:IMG Rain Jump by Italo Camerino)
Message from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] Re:IMG Rain Jump by Italo Camerino)