Subject: [Leica] Filter for the M8 B+W 486
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu Dec 21 17:19:19 2006

I tend to agree.... If Brand N or C can do the coatings, Leica could.  It is
not impossible....  The SLR retrofocus lenses do allow
the light rays to attack the sensor plate at a more perpendicular angle than
say the 21 SA.... But I am not sure that even the
angles the Leica lenses would make would affect the outcome....These
coatings are angstroms thick, and even at an angle, they would
not change significantly in thickness ( in % it appears a lot, but you must
think in terms of absolute thickness and the effect of
that extra thickness..)

Leica has taken a different path, and it failed.  Rather than admitting the
error and fixing the problem correctly, they get all the
M8 customers to buy filters to fix a problem in design.  Nice trick if you
get away with it.....more profit from a problem solution!

I think the issue is the loss of the sensor, cost of putting in a new one,
and a new sensor... All at Leica's expense.  I sure would
not WANT to do it, but it would be good customer service....

I think the Solms elves forget that a LOT of their customer base are people
of means and influence.  Many have owned or own their
own companies, and do not like being given second fiddle......  If these
customers found out Leica was acting on the cheap, they
would raise a real stink with management.....

So bottom line, I think the issue is to put the filter coatings on the
sensor glass..... but apparently all those on this list that
have spent $5K to buy a camera with a more than minor problem, do not
agree... they seem happy with the filter solution.....

Or are they?

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net