Subject: [Leica] Re: Is the M8 the Edsel of cameras?
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon Dec 18 20:49:14 2006

At 11:32 PM 12/18/2006, Jim Shulman wrote:
 >The piano in the living room is an essential part of good living.  So is a
 >first-rate stereo system.
 >A Leica is an investment in a lifetime of great photography.
 >An everyday car is a tin can that gets your rump to the Wal-Mart (and often
 >a rendez-vous with a shopping cart.)
 >
 >Best,
 >Jim Shulman
 >Bryn Mawr, PA
 >Who is the proud owner of a '95 Corolla with only 130,000 miles, as well as
 >a '95 Subaru Legacy wagon with just 250,000 miles.

You folks are such car nuts, and I am
impressed!  In 1992, I sold a IIIc K and invested
the funds in a 1984 Audi 4000S.  This is still my
daily driver, with 250K (250,000 miles =
400,000km) on the clock, and good for at least
another 100,000 miles (160,000km).  Some cars
were meant to be driven, and such is my
Clytemnestra.  My wife is horrified that I don't
want to buy something newer, but why?  If I got
another car, it would be something like a '58 VW van.

As is the case with the M8:  sometimes, holding
on to what works for you is the best thing to do.

Now, if I won the Lottery this evening, I
probably would invest some of my winnings, in that '58 VW van.

I'm just strolling down that Yellow Brick Road of life.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from glehrer at san.rr.com (Jerry Lehrer) ([Leica] Re: Is the M8 the Edsel of cameras?)