Subject: [Leica] In Shock
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Dec 14 15:55:30 2006

Rob,
For most retail stores, used cameras are the kiss of death in the U.S.
First, for most cameras, they depreciate by the minute.  Second, most owners
have heard of Ebay and want Ebay prices on trade without realizing that the
first item applies.  Two, for most stores that take in used, Ebay is the
quickest and most profitable way to reach a world wide audience so you will
not see good stuff on the shelves as it has been sold on Ebay.  For film
cameras check out the pricing of F5's on KEH, mint which for them means new
in box are going for around 700 U.S. and after talking to some of their
sales guys the operative word is collecting dust.

Medium format is truly dead except for some of us old farts, a professional
will use mostly a top tier 35mm format digital unless the agency wants
superlative in which case they go for the mf back shots.  This is definately
a very small minority of shots needed and mostly out of name studios so
numbers are very small.

As to Midwest, they make most of their money from Epson printers and
supplies.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com