Subject: [Leica] Analog and digital, M7 and M8, scanning, vinyl records, CDs
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Tue Dec 12 08:50:27 2006

Larry

Keep your b&w negs clean and you'll do fine sans Digital Ice. The best
Coolscan results I've seen come from scanning transparencies and someone
just posted a note about Fujichrome 50 which is tantalizing to say the
least.  Once you get a good master scan digital imagery comes into it's
own. To me, the repeatability is what makes this technology so
appealing.  We can take a $300 camera, a $5.00 roll of film and easily
outdo a $5000 M8ful. There has, however, been a recent rumor about Leica
introducing an improved model called  the Ma Huit sans couleur. It is a
monochrome only edition some will refer to as the /*Henri Particuleur*/.
The the black version will sell for $11,500 which includes an additional
roll of electrician's tape.

Bonne chance

Walt

p.s. all kidding aside the Coolscan is a very good machine. To me it
represents the best of both persuations, digital and film.