Subject: [Leica] Re: High ISOs Comparison
From: rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw)
Date: Wed Dec 6 11:24:36 2006

Frank:

Don't feel bad.  We're  constantly bombarded by techhie-talk.

I should have said, "High Resolution", which denotes a larger file size
for each image.  So yes, "more data".   This means each image averages
over 1.5 to more than 3 Megabits in size,- enough to make a respectable
but not commercially-perfect uncropped, 8x10 or a decent crop/enlarged
5x7 print.

The Costco CDs are gold plated - just a little bit better at the same
or lower cost than some other retail C-41 shops.  They've become my
default source for CD scans unless I'm trying to do "something
special".

I seldom take my the card out of my Canon G5 to a consumer shop for
prints.  I do just about everything at home unless a friend, client or
neighbor insists on using one of my images on the Kodak or other
digital machines at Costco, Target, etc.

It seems like the overall standard for print clarity and color
management has been diluted as a result of consumer digital
photography.  I suppose that's OK as most consumers don't care that
much as they do about sudden results they can enjoy almost immediately.

This reminds me of the "Printer's Triangle": QUALITY vs PRICE vs SPEED.
  In each case something has to give on the customer end.

This doesn't mean you can't get "the good stuff".  Just means you'll
have to be more discriminating and shop around until you find the
resource that produces the results you want.  You may end up doing all
your own prints; consumer-grade printers are getting better and prices
are more reasonable than ever.  Wish I could say that about ink
cartridge prices!

Main thing is; keep shooting!

Cheers

Bob in Seattle