Subject: [Leica] Re: High ISOs Comparison
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed Dec 6 09:06:29 2006

Funny you should bring up C41......

I took some pictures of our new grandson with my 50 Summilux and M6.  C41 (
I think it was ASA 100 Fuji, but could have been ASA
200).

The resultant prints ( done at my favorite Target C41 "lab" around the
corner from the house) showed terrible noise in the black
areas of otherwise daytime prints.  I am sure the "Little Darling" looked
adorable, and the picture of him was just fine, but the
noise I saw was really pretty bad.  Keep in mind these are full frame 4x6
prints from full frame ( no Leica 72 out here.....) C41
negatives.  Not giant blow ups.

Since all printing is now done digitally, ( or at least all consumer level
printing using the automated devices and run by high
school kids) it makes me wonder.... if this is the "standard" of what I will
get in the future, what should I do to provide good
images for my family.... or do they care that the blacks show high noise?

I am disappointed, my family seems content with Junior's cute little
face.....

Guess I do nothing...... C41 + B+W forever..... !

Steve
I think the advantages of the Canon 24/1.4 and the Canon 5D are pretty good
over the 2 stop slower Elmarit 21 and M8.  But comparing
a 24 or 21 to a 50 is not fair, nor is comparing a lens optimized for F1  to
be compared to an F2.8.  You just do not get results
that are apples to apples...   The lenses are designed with different
objectives in mind.

The comparison of the 50/1.4 Canon to the Noctilux,,,, you are only getting
one more stop of light... not too much of an
improvement.  I guess you could find one of those 50 F1 Canon lenses that
were ( are?) made s few years ago and get an apples to
apples comparison.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

now, how do images out of the M8 with Noctilux at f1 and ISO 400 and
800 look compared to C41 bw film, same setup ?

Steve

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Re: High ISOs Comparison)
Reply from rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw) ([Leica] Re: High ISOs Comparison)