Subject: [Leica] Re: Intel Macs
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon Nov 20 19:00:31 2006

On Nov 20, 2006, at 9:34 PM, Jeffery wrote:

> I was thinking the same thing today. The new PS Elements has the
> healing
> brush in it, which is the only thing I cannot do without. PS CS has
> a ton of
> things that I don't need. I forgot about Apple using the Intel
> chip. Hell, I
> was going to Apple to get away from the Intel chip.

The dual core Intel chip in the new Macs is quite a bit different
from your grandfather's Intel chip in the older PCs. It owes very
little to its 8086 ancestor. Anyway, the Mac 10.4 operating system
effectively insulates you from the microprocessor. I notice very
little difference (except for speed) when running software on a G3
iBook, a G4 Powerbook, or an Intel iMac. But unless you buy an old
computer, you will have very little choice of microprocessors. Most
new consumer equipment will be using a dual or quad core chip made by
Intel or the AMD equivalent. If you want real choice, you will have
to upscale to a workstation. And if you go that route in your
photographic endeavors, a Leica M8 will be a trivial expense.

Larry Z