Subject: [Leica] Re: Mac for PS
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun Nov 19 17:57:05 2006

On Nov 19, 2006, at 6:13 PM, Adam wrote:

> An iMac, esp with
> the larger screen, might be decent. IF you know you're going to spend
> the money to upgrade to CS3 and can live with only "reasonable"
> performance then it might work well for you.
>
> Plus - the new Intel systems will run Windows either in a virtual
> environment or will boot from a windows image using Bootcamp. That
> would let you run your own version of Photoshop for Windows on the new
> fast hardware.

I have a 20" Intel iMac and it works OK with PSCS2, probably slower
than with the G5 but on a par with my Powerbook. Unused 20" G4 iMacs
are about $1000 from the Apple Store as "refurbished." These are not
really refurbished but are simply last year's old stock that have not
been sold. But if you can swing it, the new 20 or 24 inch Intel iMacs
at $1500 to $2000 are super machines for digital photography. They
come with a full suite of integrated software that makes creating
slide shows and video presentations particularly easy. Many vendors
will throw in the Parallels software that enables you to run your PC
programs as fast as on a PC.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from hlritter at bex.net (Howard L Ritter, Jr) ([Leica] Re: Mac for PS)