Subject: [Leica] 2500 ISO
From: grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey@mchsi.com)
Date: Tue Nov 7 18:52:31 2006

Then again teh Canon 1Ds MkII is twise the price of the M8 and it has high
sales also, so the M8 is quite economical by comparison.  Also everyone here
keeps hitting on the fact that it is electronic and not mechanical.  I'm
sorry there are lots of electronic equipment out there that are still
working just as well as when it was first bought 10 to 15 years atfer first
bought.  Electronic equipment is far better than you guys claim.  And much
of it is more reliable and more accurate than its mechanical foreberrers.
Yes chips go out of production, but manufacturers of any quality reputation
make lifetime buys of chips before they go out of production just for future
repairs.  I am using electronic gear right now that is over 30 years old and
it is working just fine, and the last reapir on any of it was over 15 years
ago.  Most electronic failures happen within the first year and after that
the repairs drop off drastically.  I design military electronics and most of
it today uses com
ercial components as mil rated parts are very expensive and the government
is no longer willing to pay the price for these parts.  The equipment is
still expected to last 20+ years.  This argulent is no longer relevant
today, so I expect the M8, R8/9's of today will still be working 20 + years
from now.  Remember this equipment must meet the European Unions EC
standards for reliability and electromagnetic emissions and susceptibility
standards, or it cannot be sold in Europe.  There are equivalent standards
in just about every country today.  By your electronic is junk statements,
my R4SP should be in the trash bin by now, strange it is still working just
fine and just as accurate as it did when purchased new, according to the
serial number it was made in early 1984, which makes it already 20+ years
old. I guess it did not read the print about it dropping dead after 5-10
years.  ;-)  I'mnot a pro but I plan on getting a M8 just as soon as I
figure out how to get by SWMBO without he
r noticing it or the dent in the bank account.  I expect it to be working
just fine for many years to come.  It may not be as supped up as the current
cameras then, but as long as it is working the way it was designed I will be
just as happy then.

Gene

-------------- Original message from Frank Dernie
<Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>: --------------