Subject: [Leica] 2500 ISO
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Nov 6 21:59:58 2006

Jayanand Govindaraj said:
Subject: Re: [Leica] 2500 ISO

> Ted,
> But that was for a mechanical camera that would last a lifetime, not an
> electronic gizmo with a limited shelf life.  Things will go wrong with
> PCBs...
> Cheers Jayanand<<<

Jayanand,
That maybe, but if we look at it in this fashion one could say the same
about automobiles made in the '60's compared to the computerized machines of
today loaded with electronic gizmos. And you bet things electronic go wrong
with them, but we still buy them because we require wheels!

Quite frankly I don't care what the M8 cost as I have the option of buying
or not buying regardless of whether it lasts another lifetime or not. Yes
$5000, is a pile of money for a camera, no argument at all. But when someone
works at his or her profession as though their life depends on it's success
with the tools required, then price is no object!

The bottom line is the quality of my photography and keeping my reputation
as a photographer intact! Quite frankly in this case the price has no limit!
I realize you may not think that way, however my photography is my life, the
success and respect it has given me is my life and if I have to pop $5000 or
$15,000 for the tools to keep this together, then like I said.... the price
is no object!

This isn't to say we don't have concern over income derived from our talent,
obviously we do or we wouldn't still be here as a "freelance photographer"
after a successful half century. The Leica isn't, has never been and never
will be a "jewel or fancy bauble" to hang off my neck or shoulders. Simply
because I never had enough money to purchase with that kind of attitude.

I have on many occasions bought some Leica item quite recklessly and without
money to pay for it............... But once in hand, it became a revenue
producing tool and something allowing me to be a better photographer than
the competition.

So along comes the M8, it feels like the M7's I recently sold in the advent
the M8 digital would be along shortly, so it's here and I have work to do so
I'll get on with my life as a photojournalist with my M8's.

Cost be damned, it's what  I'm motivated by and able to capture with the
tools I feel most comfortable with and if that's an M8 Leica, so be it!.

Not sure if this makes any sense to you or others, but the end result is all
that matters.
ted

Replies: Reply from jgovindaraj at eth.net (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] 2500 ISO)
Message from jgovindaraj at eth.net (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] 2500 ISO)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] 2500 ISO)
Message from jgovindaraj at eth.net (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] 2500 ISO)
Message from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] 2500 ISO)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] 2500 ISO)
Message from jgovindaraj at eth.net (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] 2500 ISO)