Subject: [Leica] M8 and the Future
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Tue Oct 31 15:59:43 2006

Formats are fixed because we have to make emulsions by machine to
keep it cheap and easy.

Anytime a composition falls into the a film defined format, it is
either serendipity or forced in. Find an image and then cut off the
parts that don't contribute -- 6X9, 6X6, 24X36, 4X5, 1X16, or round
-- whatever makes it better.

Ric Carter
http://gallery.leica-users.org/f/Passing-Fancies

On Oct 31, 2006, at 6:45 PM, Walt Johnson wrote:

> Slobodan
>
> It all boils down to a few simple to understand concepts having
> nothing to do with Rollie Days. If it feels good, exploit it. If it
> fits well then that makes good composition. Or as old Eddie use to
> say "composition is the clearest way of seeing". There are some of
> Daniel's  2 1/4 images whose elements fall right into place.  Some,
> to me, don't quite make it as far as composition. Still very nice
> images but lacking that visual organization which jumps off the
> page.  Just my opinion and when I said 6x9 I was talking about an
> enlarged 35mm. Uncropped, of course. I don't think this means all
> of us using 35's are hung up on the Greek thing but I enjoy working
> fast. Not sloppy, just fast.  To me, relevance relates to feeling
> and not the latest hot craze. I enjoy quite a bit of what I see
> along the lines of Kyle's work or many of the latest Magnum shooters.
>
> The bottom line though is to do one's own thing. Nothing else is
> real and if not real then it will fall by the wayside. I've seen
> shots made with 4x5's and Rollies which have plenty of power but
> the old times  never did managed to convince me my Nikon was
> unsuitable  for news work. Maybe there were those young ones who
> made them feel a bit archaic.
>
> Walt (now archaic, not feeling inferior and crusty as a sore-tailed
> cat in a room full of rocking chairs)
>
> Slobodan Dimitrov wrote:
>
>> What you're experienced was an early post-diluvian eruption from
>> arguments long ago about what was real in photography.
>> The period that brought on the onslaught of the Nikon, with its
>> accompanying F-36 motor-drive, was also a time of contention
>> between  the old timers and the young turks. The old timers
>> instilled in the  younger crew a sense of inferiority with regard
>> to their skills and  abilities.
>> It was a well known fact, in those days, that real photographers
>> used  MF and preferably LF. The Nikon head bangers, well...were
>> just that,  a bunch of young upstarts who couldn't shoot their way
>> out of a  smudged skylight filter. For some reason as the young
>> turks aged,  they never lost their defensiveness. The square was
>> forever to be poo- pooed.
>> Now, mind you, I don't ascribe to any of these mind sets. For me
>> true  art is looking through the editorial and magazine pages and
>> copying  whatever new style is in vogue to keep myself relevant.
>> Now, that's art!
>>
>> Slobodan Dimitrov

>>> I beg your pardon:
>>>
>>> http://www.dlridings.se/gallery/v/shoebox/