Subject: [Leica] Re: Hand built?
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Thu Oct 26 11:26:44 2006

Hand assembled isn't automatically a guarantee that the car is better built
than on a mechanized assembly line.  Last summer, I toured the Corvette
assembly plant.  Corvettes are assembled on a production line, the Cadillac
XLR is hand-assembled in a different part of the same plant.  Both cars are
based on similar mechanics.  Yet the XLR is considerably less reliable than
a Corvette.

I drive a 2003 Honda S2000.  Up to 2004, these cars were hand-assembled in
Honda's racing car facility.  From 2004 on, they were made on a production
line in another Honda plant.  I'd like to say that mine is better built than
the later ones, but all data that I have indicates that there is no
difference in build quality or reliability between the two types.  It does
appeal to my snob factor to be driving the hand-assembled model, but I think
that is the only "quality" difference.

Mark