Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital angst - shutter lag
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri Oct 6 13:27:40 2006

I finally decided that the thing that bothers me the most about
digital photography isn't resolution or dynamic range or high ASA
noise. It's shutter lag. We had three of our grandchildren over for
the weekend, all hyperactive little girls 2 and three years old. My
reflexes are still very fast for an old codger and I cut my
photographic teeth on shooting the rapidly moving sports of soccer
and hockey. Still, the lag between pressing the trigger and my DSLR
actually taking the picture made many of the shots unusable. In
sports photography the key is anticipating the action and clicking
the trigger just before the peak. But I defy anyone to predict the
motion of an active three year old.

This led to the fomulation of Larry's Law of child photography:

Photographing one child is easy. Photographing two children in the
same frame is difficult. Photographing three children in the same
frame is impossible.

I never had a problem with shutter lag with my M3 Leicas. Does the M8
have a comparably short time between pressing the trigger and getting
the exposure? No puffery now. I want real straight information.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] Re: Digital angst - shutter lag)
Reply from harrison at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] Re: Digital angst - shutter lag)
Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] Re: Digital angst - shutter lag)