Subject: [Leica] Anyone out there load cassettes from bulk film?
From: ealadner at comcast.net (Eric Ladner)
Date: Wed Sep 27 22:13:01 2006

On Sep 27, 2006, at 7:15 PM, Marc James Small wrote:

> I have bulk-loaded a lot.

I used to, also, for two reasons: cost and special films:

When I was doing photography and A/V work for biotech companies, buying
100-foot rolls of Ektachrome saved me a LOT of money, especially when I
needed to shoot just a few frames of text slides (the sort of things
you'd do in Powerpoint now. I was on very good terms with a custom lab
within walking distance, and they weren't bothered by short,
hand-loaded rolls.

The special films included Kodak LPD4 for black and white text slides,
an Agfa film (RA711p?) that made high contrast B&W negatives (or
white-on-black slides), and another Kodak direct positive stock that I
can't remember the name of, of much lower contrast than LPD4 - suitable
for continuous-tone material, but with a blue cast. The Kodak films
could go through an X-ray film processor, and the Agfa could go through
their Rapidoprint processor. They all also processed just fine in
standard chemistry.

I don't think it's just looking back to "the good old days" to lament
the passing of some of these materials and processes. On the other
hand, I haven't used any of them in years, and you can't expect
manufacturers to continue products that don't sell.

--Eric

Message from durling at cox.net (Mike Durling) ([Leica] Anyone out there load cassettes from bulk film?)
Message from marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Anyone out there load cassettes from bulk film?)