Subject: [Leica] Anyone out there load cassettes from bulk film?
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Sep 27 19:14:44 2006

Oh, dear.  I suppose I must respond on this
thread, given my history.  But you guys ought to
check the old LUG archives, as we have had many a
discussion on this over the years, especially back in the middle 1990's.

I have bulk-loaded a lot.  I bought a slew of the
old Ilford cassettes when they went to disposable
units.  I have a bunch of Leica cassettes, both
the LTM-unique ones and the later ones which work
in both the LTM and M cameras.  I have a bunch of
the superior-in-use Zeiss Ikon versions.  (The
Leica version appears occasionally in a
Canon-produced version;  the Nikon clone of the
Zeiss Ikon cassette remained in their catalogue
at least into the early 1990's.  And there are
Soviet/Post-Soviet versions of the Zeiss Ikon one, as well.)

The Watson and Lloyd loaders are both
useable.  Some like the one, others the other.  I
like the heavier Lloyd unit, especially as it is
fitted to work with the Leica and Zeiss Ikon
cassettes.  I once owned a 70mm set for
Hasselblad, and that came with its Lloyd loader, a huge monster.

I have always used masking tape, bought in bulk
somewhere or other, to connect the film to the
Ilford cassettes.  With Zeiss Ikon and Leica
cassettes, you cut the film and slip it into a
slit in the spool, and Bob's your
uncle.  Electrical tape stretches, with
disastrous results at the end of the roll.  The
one time I tried this, I was fortunate to have a
changing back on hand to save the day, but never again!

The really neat part about the Zeiss Ikon system
is that you can use one of their proprietary
cassettes on the take-up side so that when the
film is finished, you do not need to rewind:  you
simply remove the both of the cassettes from the
camera and clip the film and there is no need to
rewind unless you are a cheesy, skin-flinted,
Scottish-descended, miserly soul such as my own
self who goes past Frame 36 to get the last the
film has to give.  Stop at 36, advance a couple
of frames, open the camera, and there is no need
to rewind.  This works on Contax, Contaflex, and
Contarex cameras.  It does not work on the Icarex
line.  I am not certain about the others, though
it might work on the original, folder Contessa 35.

I used to have two Watson loaders and a Lloyd
ready to rock and roll at any time, generally one
with color, one with slow schwarz-weiss, and one
with fast black and white.  There was a time when
I could zap out a roll in well under a minute.

I rarely bulk-load now, though I still have some
rolls and I probably ought to use it up, though I take few pictures any more.

You guys wait until I get my dark room up again!

Marc

Marc James Small
Quo Usque Tandem Abutere, Catalina, Patientia Nostra?
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from ealadner at comcast.net (Eric Ladner) ([Leica] Anyone out there load cassettes from bulk film?)
Message from durling at cox.net (Mike Durling) ([Leica] Anyone out there load cassettes from bulk film?)