Subject: [Leica] Leica has bought Sinar
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon Sep 25 11:11:41 2006

At 01:38 PM 9/25/2006, Douglas Sharp wrote:

>What I also wanted to add was the small snippet
>from the Jenoptik (was Carl Zeiss Jena) pages.
>Jenoptik is the owner of "Robot" - yes, they
>still exist - and is currently involved in
>converting their products (traffic surveillance cameras) to digital
>technology.

It's tad more complex than that.  JENOPTIK
consists of parts of the old CZJ combine such as
the Eisfeld and Saalfeld works but the actual
Jena lens plant is now the home of Carl Zeiss'
optical research and still produces scientific
and astronomical gear, though the gnomes of
Heidenheim are a bit secretive about exactly what
gones on at Jena.  The CZJ archives are located
at Jena and are now open on a limited basis to
researchers.  JENOPTIK is owned by a partnership
of commercial and government entities but the
majority share is held by the Zeiss Foundation
and the company is effectively controlled by Zeiss.

JENOPTIK also ended up with a bunch of the former
Pentacon camera company:  when Communism
collapsed, Pentacon was effectively divided
between Carl Zeiss and Mandermann, with the Noble
family regaining what was left of KW.  The Noble
works later went bankrupt and I believe that JENOPTIK got that, as well.

It is all quite convoluted and hard to sort
out.  Some economist will do his PhD thesis on
this subject around 2150, but we might not know the full story until then.

And then there's the Jen?r Glasswerke ...

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Message from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Leica has bought Sinar)