Subject: [Leica] Professional Leica Users?
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Wed Sep 20 09:15:19 2006

I'm not debating digital vs. film in terms of quality.  Like I said, I
almost feel cheated when shooting 35mm vice my Canon 10d (I'm lusting over
the 5d right now & planning on upgrading later this year.)  Film has a few
advantages over digital when traveling & for the way I shoot, I still think
that digital's highlights are leaving a little to be desired.  This is only
because at the point where the channels reach above 250, the color fringing
starts and then the highlight is blown out with no detail at all.  If I use
exposure compensation, I lose the shadows to some extent.  It's just like
shooting with Velvia, but faster.  You have to expose for where you want the
details.  Within the shadows and the highlights are where I think digital
has it's shortcomings.
But I digress...
This thread was about why pros don't use their M's more often.  It's simply
a matter of time and cost of production.
Philip