Subject: [Leica] Re: the dynamic range of digital
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Sep 20 07:13:30 2006

I have no real world experience with the DMR, Doug - but on the other hand,
other than using the DMR, you have scant experience with digital
photography, and you haven't even been using the DMR for all that long yet,
never having used any other type of "pro" digital, you somehow 'know' that
the digital you're using is the best there is, and behaves differently from
every other digital camera out there. (And no, I have never suggested that
the E-1 or any other camera I am now using is the best there is. ;-) )

If you don't want to believe that the world is round as Richman views it,
try checking out what Adobe has to say -

"Linear capture has important implications for exposure. If a camera
captures six stops of dynamic range, half of the 4,096 levels are devoted to
the brightest stop -" the one you are throwing away. "half of the remainder
(1,024 levels) are devoted to the next stop, half of the remainder (512
levels) are devoted to the next stop, and so on. The darkest stop, the
extreme shadows, is represented by only 64 levels...You may be tempted to
underexpose images to avoid blowing out the highlights, but if you do,
you're wasting a lot of the bits the camera can capture, and you're running
a significant risk of introducing noise in the midtones and shadows..." And
there's more, some of it about the downside of underexposing in  the
shadows.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/pdfs/linear_gamma.pdf

The fact that the DMR captures data in 16 bit mode doesn't change the
essential reality of digital capture. And if you are truly finding that in
order to get properly exposed images you need to dial in -1 stop, I'd
suggest, no, reality would suggest, there's a problem with the camera's
reading of light. Perhaps the problem is limited to your particular DMR, or
perhaps it's a problem with all DMRs - obviously I can't even guess at the
answer to that one.;-)