Subject: [Leica] local lab closes - digital rant
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Sep 2 05:20:11 2006

Eric,
It was a pro "wet" lab.  Almost every pro is shooting digital so no revenue
there.  In the wedding business on the low end the bride gets a couple of
CD's and on the high end some really beautiful custom books printed in
Italy.  In the wedding business the days of the proof book are over; the
proofs are online and if you want one you pay for it.

Cataloge work is all digital.  Fashion is almost all digital so no rush E-6
orders with snip tests and push/pull 1/3 stop requests.

Several of my good friends own/work at E-6 labs here in Atlanta.  They are
staying afloat by casting their nets much wider, starting custom B/W work
and doing custom C-41 work for pro's and amatuers but the key word is
afloat.  And it helps that long ago the owner set up a custom lab just for
digital work.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com