Subject: [Leica] Digital enlargement & enlightenment, please.
From: don.dory at (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Aug 27 15:07:13 2006

First, see Ted's response.  Technically you can get an acceptable large
print with the pixels at 200 pixels per inch at the print surface.  More is
better but the larger printers have pretty good RIPs that scale up really
well.  So, divide the pixel array of your sensor by 200 and that will be
close to maximum size with no resizing of the image.

So, lets take a hypothetical 2500x3200 8 something megapixel sensor.  By the
rule of thumb you could get a 12.5 by 18 inch print with very good image
quality.  With that said, I have watched Canon reps pull 16X20's off the 30D
when they intoduced it at PMA. They set up a studio with "name"
photographers who shoot models and they print out the best of the images.
They then hang up the pictures so that you can see them up close and

On 8/27/06, Lew <> wrote:
> I think I know that there's a more or less fixed relationship between the
> number of pixels on a ccd and the
> maximum size of a print made from the resulting raw capture without
> interpolation. So I have 2 questions:
>        1. What can we look forward to vis-avis the upcoming M8 and maximum
> non-interpolated print size?
>        2. Are interpolations now good enough for me to stop worrying about
> the limits of digital enlargement?
> -Lew

Replies: Reply from telyt at (David Young) ([Leica] Digital enlargement & enlightenment, please.)
Message from lew at (Lew) ([Leica] Digital enlargement & enlightenment, please.)