Subject: [Leica] Digital enlargement & enlightenment, please.
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Sun Aug 27 16:30:25 2006

Lew,

You asked about the maximum print size, without interpolation.

First, see Ted's response. then check Don's.   Both are right.

My criteria is 300 pixels per inch.  My reason?  When you take your
negs to a modern one hour lab, they scan and print your 4x6" happy
snaps at 300ppi.

So, if that is the definition of "photo quality", then a 10.2mpixel
DMR (3876x2584 pixels) will make a very nice 8x12" print (actually a
12.9x8.6" print) without interpolation.  My Canon 20D would make a
very nice 8x12" prints  as well, but needed a wee bit of boost, to do
it.  There was, however, no noticeable degradation in quality.

However, that being said, I have made a number of 12x18" prints from
both cameras.  These work out quite well, as 200ppi will give a very
acceptable print, particularly from the distance from which you'd
normally view an enlargement.  I do, however, "rez-up" the image to
300ppi, via interpolation. This yields a slightly smoother looking
print when examined "up close and personal".  However, it does little
for the resolution of fine details.

I have 12x18" prints on my walls, from both the 8mp Canon 20d and the
R8/DMR combo.  On a recent visit to our home, Ted mistook one of
these 20d shots for a Leica image.... which tells you how good they
can be.  However, when you compare both, at close range, the DMR
images have noticeably more fine detail, due to [a] the lower amount
of interpolation needed and [b] the lack of an AA filter in the DMR,
which yields more fine detail in any size print.

If my memory served me correctly, the sensor in the new M8d (or
whatever it will be called) is the same number of pixels as the
sensor in the DMR... but a wee bit bigger.  This yields a crop factor
of 1.3 (instead of 1.37) and indicates that the individual pixels
will be a wee bit larger, thus improving low light/noise performance.

In essence, the DMR and the Digi-M will be about the same for
enlargement capabilities. And what those limits are will be
determined by whether you want the level of detail supported by
300ppi or if you can accept 200ppi in your prints.

---

David Young,
Logan Lake, CANADA

Message from lew at fastmail.fm (Lew) ([Leica] Digital enlargement & enlightenment, please.)