Subject: [Leica] Digital enlargement & enlightenment, please.
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun Aug 27 17:24:39 2006

At 04:39 PM 8/27/2006, you wrote:
>I think I know that there's a more or less fixed relationship
>between the number of pixels on a ccd and the
>maximum size of a print made from the resulting raw capture without
>interpolation. So I have 2 questions:
>         1. What can we look forward to vis-avis the upcoming M8 and
> maximum non-interpolated print size?
>         2. Are interpolations now good enough for me to stop
> worrying about the limits of digital enlargement?
>-Lew

Lew -  It depends.  That sounds wishy-washy but it's true.  I'm doing
all of the digital conversions and getting files ready to print for
an exhibition of 9 different photographers using 9 different
cameras.  All photographers were required to shoot in RAW and send
their untouched files to me. It's amazing what a difference there is
in photo quality.  Some of the photos shot at high ISOs are unusable,
some are as good as  any shot at lower ISOs.  It doesn't seem to have
as much to do with file size (although that is very important when
you get into larger prints) as to how the camera handles higher
speeds.  We have made panoramic prints 3' wide that look wonderful
and others at 16x20 that are marginal and will probably be
eliminated.  All of the photos were shot with available light so your
mileage may vary with flash or bright sunlight, but my opinion is
that camera brand matters more than number of pixels.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com

Message from lew at fastmail.fm (Lew) ([Leica] Digital enlargement & enlightenment, please.)