Subject: [Leica] Digital image longevity
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Mon Aug 14 18:50:45 2006

Lee,
I can not speak for Kodak products but in the past they were significantly
worse performers regarding color fidelity.  Now, RA-4 is a standard process
so if the lab is in control then Fuji Crystal Archive Paper will last more
than 75 years without significant deteriation under standard display
conditions; not dark storage.  I am trying my own experiment by hanging a
very dark image in full sun with great southern exposure.  It has been up
six week now with no issues; I have kept an identical image in dark storage
to compare peridically.

Now, negatives (color) are a different issue. The dyes in negatives will not
last a half century unless you store them in the proverbial cool, dry, dark,
space.

So, for images you value, print them and scan them to a DVD.  However you
set up your tickler file, every five to ten years see what technology has
changed and update as necessary.  The good news is that as new recording
media comes around, the density gets better.  Remember the old single sided
floppies that had maybe 160K on them?  That was only, what 15-20 years ago.
In that time we have gone from cassette tape storage to floppies to rigid
floppies to CDs to DVDs.  10MB hard drives were expensive to 500MB drives
costing the same before inflation calculations.

Digital will work fine as long as you pay attention, just like negatives
work just fine for people who take care to store them in reasonable places.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com