Subject: [Leica] Digital image longevity
From: lmc at interlink.es (Luis Miguel Castañeda)
Date: Tue Aug 15 02:21:39 2006

On 15/08/2006, at 3:50, Don Dory wrote:

> Now, RA-4 is a standard process so if the lab is in control then
> Fuji Crystal Archive Paper will last more
> than 75 years without significant deteriation under standard
> display conditions; not dark storage.

Despite I believe that RA4 prints will do a very long run, I won't be
too optimist about the manufacturer's longevity statemens until we
have a reasonable proof of time. I have digital prints made with a
dye sublimation printer about 1997, not cared, constantly exposed to
light that haven't faded at all, but other prints I know, made on the
same materials did it. Also, at that time I had some A3 inkjet prints
from scanned slides about the same time made ( I think ) with an
Epson with Epson inks and Epson photographic papers, which are fine,
but the ones I made the same day, without any variation faded
severely in only 2 months under the conditions you described.

My bet is that RA4 will do significatively better, but on the other
hand I will trust the claim of "archival" quality of qualified
people, not the manufacturer's datasheet/leaflet.

Saludos
http://imaginarymagnitude.net/blog/

Message from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Digital image longevity)