Subject: [Leica] Digital image longevity
From: Engl6914 at cableone.net (Lee England)
Date: Mon Aug 14 16:38:54 2006

This is just a question, not an argument since I'm not sure I'm one way or
the other here.  But is the use of RA-4 paper and archival inks, mentioned
by Doug, standard processing by, say, Walgreens?  The reason I ask:  my
mother hauled out a shoe box a few months ago showing me photographs taken
of her father and his unit of the U.S. Cavalry in south Texas in 1917 on
maneuvers.  The land surrounding is flat and desolate, and I doubt this film
got any more than the usual processing used by the proletariat at the time.
Not a town or a Walgreens or even a dwelling in sight.  These photos were
treasures, and I decided at that point to stick to film because I want my
great great great grandchildren to see what great great great grandpappy
saw.
    Again, I'm not arguing, just asking.  To achieve the longevity Doug
describes, would one be able to get that from Walgreens, or would he need to
get a special printer with special inks and papers?  If longevity requires
special treatment, then I don't think those photos from the 1st World War,
had they been shot digitally, would've survived.  And perhaps they might not
have been printed--just emailed.  If that kind of archival processing is
standard then I might be more inclined toward switching to digital, and more
of the digital prints will survive.

Lee England
Natchez, Mississippi

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Digital image longevity)